technology Case Study
Helping Nikon Small World Uncover Microscopic Beauty
Social engagement enhances long-standing Nikon Small World microscopic photography contest and generates consumer awareness of electron microscopes.
From up-close-and-personal views of algae and bugs to beautiful landscapes made from the surfaces of electronics and minerals, the breathtaking images captured in the Nikon Small World competition have excited millions of fans for more than three decades. To keep the competition fresh and expand awareness of its electron microscopes, Nikon turned to Peppercomm to initiate more direct engagement with participants online.
Raising Awareness among New Audiences
In years past, Peppercomm kept the competition fresh by introducing elements like the Popular Vote – an online voting contest that allows audience members to identify their favorite images. To keep the momentum going, Peppercomm leveraged Nikon’s social-media platforms on Facebook and Twitter to drive entries from scientists, create buzz with traditional media, and keep fans engaged. Regular posts about the competition, discussion prompts about topics relevant to the participants, and a live Facebook chat and Twitter feed announcing the winners kept the online audience eager for more content about the competition. Exclusive content from the winners was then released to key bloggers to drive ongoing online conversation and inspire future participation.
- The revamped contest broadened awareness of Nikon’s electron microscopes, as evidenced by the increase in Web traffic and social-media engagement. Peppercomm efforts helped to generate:
- More than 2,000 entries submitted in total – more than ever before;
- More than 250,000 visitors to the Nikon Small World website – five times the previous record;
- A 300% increase in Facebook fans and 200 percent increase in Twitter followers;
- More than 80,000 unique visitors to NikonSmallWorld.com – including the biggest single-day traffic record in the site’s history.